Saturday, March 27, 2010

How to file a Copyright Complaint with Google When Your Articles Are Stolen

I have become more conscious of article scrapers and outright copyright thieves lately.

I'll write more on this later, but in the past 24 hours I've contacted one site and they removed my post (a post from this blog, no less!) and had a very popular Associated Content article, Get Rid of Student Loan Debt, copied in full nearly a year ago!  I tried to go to WhoIs to get the email for the site.  No luck.  Googled to find an email address for the owner.  No luck.

So I had to resort to filing a DCMA complaint with Google directly via this link: DCMA Complaint Form

I hate to do it that way.  As much as I dislike having my copyrighted work stolen, I do prefer to email the site owner directly and give them 24 hours to remove it.  A successful DCMA complaint could lead to the site owner losing his/her entire Google AdSense account.

Which means the site owner is STUPID, STUPID for intentionally not leaving a "Contact Us" form or email on his/her site, because if their Google AdSense account is shut down they shot themselves in the foot.  But that's their problem.  Not mine.

Don't steal my writing. I don't like it, and I'll defend my business by following the law.

No comments: